God's Promises in the Midst of Natural Disaster


Photo from OrlandoSentinel.com 


Last week, I didn’t post as we were hanging in the balance of preparing to travel to the US and preparing to be hit by Hurricane Eta in Honduras. The beginning of the week was full of fight or flight adrenaline as we dug deep paths for the water to make its way around our house, and I got up in the middle of the night to see if we needed to empty our outdoor cistern to prevent flooding behind our house. Meanwhile, the news showed video after video of devastating flooding in other parts of Honduras. While Hurricane Eta did not hit our city as heavily as it hit as other parts of the country and Central America, it was truly devastating. When the rain finally stopped, and all of the adrenaline wore off for me, all that was left was deep sadness for those who lost everything, those with missing family members, and those who were stranded on their rooftops awaiting rescue. COVID has been harsh for the Honduran economy, and this hurricane will be a national marker because the personal loss for so many is high. Additionally, the infrastructure damage was also striking. According to a national newspaper, 1.7 million people were affected by the storm with 8,000 families who lost everything and over 28,000 who had to be rescued.


As I write this, Hurricane Iota is now headed toward Honduras. It is another hurricane that is incredibly organized, slow-moving, and set to hit as a category 3 or 4 by the time it hits Nicaragua and Honduras. Its path is slightly more to the south than Hurricane Eta’s, but the areas that were hardest hit are set to receive another 30 inches of rain. That rain, more than winds, is really the issue as the floodwaters haven’t even fully receded in some areas.

I don’t know why these hurricanes are hitting Honduras in the midst of people clamoring for mercy, but I have to hold onto the promises of God during this time. I don’t know what is going to happen in the next couple of days in Honduras, nor do I know what the next months and years of recovery are going to look like. So, I want to refresh my heart with what I know through God’s Word and nature:

“ Surely God is my salvation;

I will trust and not be afraid.

The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense[a];

he has become my salvation.”
– Isaiah 12:2, NIV

He will prove Himself to be the Savior even in the midst of loss and uncertainty.

“You will keep in perfect peace

those whose minds are steadfast,

because they trust in you.”
– Isaiah 26:3, TPT

The impending uncertainty, the feelings of futility after so much damage already can be safely deposited in His hands. 

“But those who wait for Yahweh’s grace

will experience divine strength.

They will rise up on soaring wings and fly like eagles,

run their race without growing weary,

and walk through life without giving up.”
– Isaiah 40:31, TPT

Even from far away, this is my prayer for those up to their knees in mud already as they clean their homes and carry their belongings in the midst of evacuation. Divine strength in a weary, weary year.

“Do not yield to fear, for I am always near.

Never turn your gaze from me, for I am your faithful God.

I will infuse you with my strength

and help you in every situation.

I will hold you firmly with my victorious right hand.’”
– Isaiah 41:10, TPT

“A Message from the high and towering God,

who lives in Eternity,

whose name is Holy:


“I live in the high and holy places,

but also with the low-spirited, the spirit-crushed,

And what I do is put new spirit in them,

get them up and on their feet again.”
– Isaiah 57:15, MSG 

May God lead Hondurans to victory and provide them with the strength to pick up the pieces, and may the Body of Christ fervently seek to be His practical hands and feet to those who are living in loss. 

Honduras and all of Central America covet your prayers at this time. In the midst of a tumultuous election, US news has not been covering much if any of the situation in Honduras, but it is worth knowing how our fellow humans are suffering. If you would like to see footage of the damage in Honduras, you can click on these links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XiCYcx8MlU 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZO9ty-Bvn4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubtXu4rm_us

Thousands of people are already sleeping in the streets under tarps and bridges. While we are in the US, we are obviously not on the ground participating in relief efforts, but we know missionaries who are. If you would like to donate to relief efforts, here is a link to a ministry that is helping a number of people who have lost their homes. At the bottom of the attached newsletter is a Paypal link for donations:
https://mailchi.mp/91d29d0c0c81/a-crazy-turn-of-events-1341436?fbclid=IwAR2k0Lf7huI6fB0EntXk8R9OgY0BuvoAMmpqP0YvIHXlf40OKUEqJuU6Y2w


Comments

Popular Posts