Live Every Moment: February 2021 Recap



The above title is the inspirational phrase adorning my current journal. While it is cliché, it's also a good reminder about the power of being present. Part of being present is being participants in our own lives, in the moments we have with our loved ones. The other part of presence is also allowing ourselves to feel what we feel, observe what we think without judgment, and inviting our own awareness of God's presence in the mundane of every day. This month has been a mixed bag of mindfulness--from keeping a gratitude journal to processing through emotions, from enjoying some sunny weather in nature to recognizing God's consideration toward me even in the midst of circumstances that may have seemed unfair. It all counts. It's all life charged with meaning that is contributing to our evolving histories and characters. I don't know about you, but when I catch myself sinking too deep into Netflix, snapping at something small, or ruminating over something outside of my control, it's usually time to invite myself to be more intentional. Intentional to breathe deeply. Intentional to process on purpose with friends who ask challenging questions or with God who helps me know myself better. Intentional to name whatever emotion is causing the unnecessary adrenaline. It's okay to be in process. It's okay if you're still trying to find the exact emotion that you need to put your finger on. It's okay to get ruminating out on paper even if no one else will ever read it. This is the process of living every moment--it is about the present, but it's also about intentionality in reflection and in digging deeper into what makes us tick. It's about being willing and open to trying something new or to re-examine what has become normal in order to live life in a fuller measure. I'm certainly still in the midst of that journey and will be for the rest of my life. 

 What I Ate:


Photo by: Roberto Rizzo

1) Crispy Quinoa Burgers with Sweet Potato Fries and Caramelized Onions. I don't know about where you are, but where I am, groceries seem to be much more expensive. As always, meat is a pricey item, so I'm always keeping my eyes open for hearty recipes that don't require meat. In terms of taste, these were pretty good. In terms of texture, they don't resemble meat, but they are hearty. The also passed the husband test. I did not have gruyere cheese, but I increased the cheddar. The beer is also not necessary for the caramelized onions. You can use cooking wine or just leave them out altogether. https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/epic-crispy-quinoa-burgers-topped-sweet-potato-fries-beer-caramelized-onions-gruyere/

2) Caramel Cafe au Lait. In Louse Penny's book below, she gave a great description of Cafe au Lait, and it made me want some despite not normally being a coffee drinker. This is a simple recipe for one.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/homemade-cafe-au-lait-7456824 



Photo by: Ruttikal Chularom

3) Thai Chopped Chicken Salad. This salad was really good particularly because the dressing is really good. I used shredded green mango because we have that in our neck of the woods, but it would be just as good without it. https://pinchofyum.com/chopped-thai-chicken-salad  


4) Rachael Ray Italian-Style Sloppy Joes. These were a great twist on sloppy joes with lots of flavor. I served it with the side dishes that follow. 
https://www.rachaelray.com/recipes/italian-sloppy-joes-updated-messy-giuseppe/


Photo by: Chinh LeDuc

5) Italian-Style Green Beans. These were some of the best green beans I have ever had which is saying a lot because I grew up eating fresh green beans from our garden. Do not make this recipe with canned green beans. They should be fresh or frozen. I used a combination of fresh Roma tomatoes and roasted grape tomatoes. 
https://foodal.com/recipes/sides/italian-style-green-beans/

6) Italian Seasoning Roasted Potatoes. I didn't have red potatoes. They would have been better, but any kind of potato will be just fine. https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/italian-parmesan-roasted-potatoes/




7) Chicken Spinach Artichoke Spaghetti Squash. This recipe was really good. This recipe is paleo, so it had a few things that I made substitutions for. I decided not to use onion and didn't miss it. I also used heavy cream rather than coconut cream and regular mayo (though you could also use plain or Greek yogurt to be healthier). I also used the parmesan cheese rather than nutritional yeast. https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/chicken-spinach-artichoke-spaghetti-squash-paleo/


What I Read:




From Amazon

1) Still Life by Louise Penny. I had seen recommendations for Louise Penny books floating around for a while. This is the first in the Inspector Gamache series, and it was a really entertaining mystery. It covers an unexpected death in a small, sleepy, artsy town that had some questionable circumstances surrounding it. I will be honest in saying that it started a little slow, but the characters were interesting and well-developed, and the ending was a page turner. The imagery was vivid, and I look forward to reading more in this series. 


From Amazon

2) Searching for Sunday: Loving, Leaving, and Finding the Church by Rachel Held Evans. I was aware of Rachel Held Evans who tragically passed away a few years ago at a young age for a while before I had the chance to read this book. I appreciate so much of her vulnerability and authenticity and the questions she is willing to ask herself and ask Christianity as a whole. I love the way that she grapples with her own humanity and the flaws she sees in church with a determination to still be a part of the Body of Christ. I don't agree with all of her theology and conclusions, but I loved being able to glean from her walk with the Lord. And, there were so many areas where I did connect with her desire for vulnerability within the Church. Here are a few excerpts that spoke to me: 

"Many months would pass before I understood that people bond more deeply over shared brokenness than they do over shared beliefs." 

"The thing about healing, as opposed to curing, is that it is relational. It takes time. It is inefficient, like a meandering river. Rarely does healing follow a straight or well-lit path. Rarely does it conform to our expectations or resolve in a timely manner. Walking with someone through grief, or through the process of reconciliation, requires patience, presence, and a willingness to wander, to take the scenic route. But the modern-day church doesn't like to wander or wait. The modern-day church likes results." 


From Amazon

3) Son by Lois Lowry. This is the last book in The Giver series. I read The Giver back in high school and loved it though the ending felt so ambiguous. I had no idea that there were follow up books to the series until this year. This book follows Claire in her dystopian society as she is selected to be inseminated as a birth mother. Something goes wrong in her birthing process which shifts her world upside down. The book follows her journey in the search for her son and satisfyingly ties into the previous stories from the series. The ending was really unique and not what I would consider the norm for most dystopian novels. 

What I Watched:

1) The Office.
I hadn't seen this show in a while when I bought the whole series on Amazon during a Black Friday sale. It filled my heart with joy and laughter for the last few months. There's a reason it's a classic. Jim and Pam. Michael Scott antics. Stanley sass. It's a good time and worth returning to like comfort food. 

2) Nadiya Bakes. Nadiya Hussain is pure sunshine. She has a cheerful voice. She wears bright colors. And her recipes are creative and look delicious. In a stressful month, putting this show on during my lunch breaks was a breath of fresh air and put a smile on my face. This show includes both savory and sweet dishes that are made in an oven. If you like cooking shows, why not watch this one? 



This coming month, may we put our phones down and look people in the eyes when they're speaking to us. May we take note of what is proving particularly life-giving and what is dragging us down. May we own our mistakes to receive grace from others and also extend grace to ourselves. May we give ourselves permission to feel angry, sad, or fearful, knowing that God designed each of those emotions for a purpose. May we take the time to breathe deeply and let the world slow down, and may we have the courage to make even just one healthy choice a day for our own well-being. May we fight to gain perspective and avoid tunnel vision. May we savor the little things and let creativity be a welcome respite from troubleshooting. May we embrace mystery and ask hard questions and resist the urge to numb ourselves. May we begin to fully live every moment by first accepting both joy and pain, both frustration and triumph, both disappointment and contentment. And may we sense God's unending love along every step forward and every step back that we take. 

Comments

Popular Posts