The Joys of January

The premise of this blog is like when a neighbor or friend comes over to chat, sits on a bench on your porch, and drinks some lemonade with you. So, I like to keep a balance of heavier topics and simple joys. It's hard to believe that January is over. Where you live perhaps you have a colder winter than I have here in Honduras, but I have somewhat enjoyed a few cold fronts that we've had. The upside is that you get a sense of that cozy feeling of being inside (and wrapped in a blanket or two) while it's chillier outside. The downside is that it's actually chillier outside of the blanket itself and not necessarily outside of your home. With 50-60 degree temperatures Fahrenheit and no heat, it's a cold you don't escape unless you're bundled up.


Simple Joys

In the midst of both sun and frosty noses, here are some of the simple joys I've had this month:

1) Chai tea in a Yeti. My grandmother got me a Yeti thermos/tumbler for Christmas. It's the kind of thing that I'd probably never buy for myself, but I love it. I'm usually the kind of person who makes a cup of tea, forgets about it, and then has to reheat my mug five times to finish it. Now, I can make that cup of tea, forget about it, remember it, and then enjoy it hot anyway. This isn't a paid endorsement or anything; it's just a simple joy and a shout out to my grandmother for being a good gift-giver.

2) Starting Bethel Church's online WorshipU. I haven't gotten through as many videos in the courses as I'd like, but the ones I've seen have been very uplifting. I've also been trying out the voice lessons in an effort to try to get a bit better at singing.

3) Meal planning. Okay, saying that this is a joy is definitely a stretch. However, finding a routine as a married lady was a bit rough last year in terms of domestic duties. I like to cook, but having to cook large meals on a regular basis was something I hadn't done since high school when I lived at home and cooked dinner for my family. Add to it that the largest meal of the day in Honduras is lunch, and that was just stealing all of my time everyday. Making breakfast, washing those dishes, then a couple hours later making a big lunch, and having to wash those dishes just meant that I had no time to get anything done (I needed and or wanted to get done) because I either had to stop what I started to cook, or I had all of these dishes waiting for me while I was trying to get something else done. Stressful. So, I've started meal planning. I can't handle doing much more than a week's worth of meals at a time, but it's been such a relieving time-saver. The day I do all of the cooking can be tiring, but it's a small sacrifice to be free for the rest of the week. And--fewer daily dishes to wash!

4) Speaking of meal planning, two of my favorite things I've had to eat this past month are chicken tikka masala and a honeydew smoothie. (Not consumed together, mind you.) I don't typically use a set recipe when I cook. I look up a couple of recipes to give me some ideas and guidelines, but then I just go with what tastes good or what I have. But, the recipe I most used for inspiration for chicken tikka masala this time was the one on Ree Drummond's website. And, the smoothie was a similar concoction of what I had on hand but for a smoothie, noteworthy. It consisted of cut up honeydew, a small piece of ginger, mint leaves, plain yogurt, coconut milk, lime juice, and honey. It would've been better with some ice cubes, but I didn't have any ice on hand.

5) Starting our small group's discipleship class at our house. It's been fun to prayerfully make some lessons to share based on some great, Christian books that I've read. So far, we've been looking at how to have healthy community and how to deal with unforgiveness. I've enjoyed the discussions and sharing we've been able to have and hope that we make deeper connections with one another through our time together as a group.

6) Emily P. Freeman's podcast, The Next Right Thing. I'm only a couple of episodes in, but so far, I'm greatly enjoying it. I listen while multitasking--getting ready for the day or washing dishes--and each episode is only about 15 minutes or less. Her voice is poised and very soothing, and she makes some great life points on how to maintain the health of your soul by slowing life down.


What I'm Watching

Netflix wasn't really an option in Honduras for many years, but now it is. And, because I don't really like watching television in Spanish (it especially drives me nuts when I know what the actors' voices sound like, and they're dubbed over), I enjoy Netflix. It's a small way of being able to share some stuff with my family and feel like a normal person. This month, I've been watching:

1) The Good Place
Putting aside that the theology is obviously out of whack, I enjoy this quirky show. I like Kristin Bell, and I am a fan of shows that are unlike anything else. That is definitely The Good Place. If you decide to watch it, by all means, start from the beginning. It's too confusing if you don't and ongoing story lines/jokes get wasted that way.

2) Elementary
I just started watching this show after a recommendation from a new friend from Bible study. I love a good puzzle/mystery, and I love character development within shows. I'm only on season one, but so far, both of those elements have maintained my interest.

3) Somebody Feed Phil
I love food and travel shows. When I do watch the few channels we get in English, it's almost always the Food Network. I love the creative aspect of cooking; it's more fun than the day-to-day functionality aspect of cooking. This show is just innocent wonder and fun. It does revolve around seeking out food in various places, but more than that, it shares a common thread of humanity with light-hearted humor and the friendships one can develop when sitting at a table eating good food. It's a show that can even captivate Raúl's attention. 



Books I've Finished in January

Culture of Revival: A Revivalist Field Manual: Volume 1: Perseverance with Joy
Thumbnail courtesy of barnesandnoble.com
Last year, between wedding planning and honeymooning and being sick, I didn't read near as much as I wanted to. This year, I'm trying to remedy that. These are the books I finished this month (though I may have started them last year).

1) Culture of Revival, Volume 1: Perseverance with Joy, by Andy Byrd and Sean Feucht

This is actually a compilation of articles by various writers who are dedicated to revival and serving God in some amazing ways. It was interesting to read their unique angles on bringing heaven to earth in each of their spheres of ministry. There were several nuggets of wisdom in several of the articles, and I used this book for our first lesson in our small group especially in terms of having an unoffendable heart. Reading this book is kind of like sitting at a round table of friends where each person takes the time to share some of their best stories. You end up being discipled without even knowing it.

Image result for introverts in the church thumbnail
Thumbnail courtesy of rachelheldevans.com
2) Introverts in the Church: Finding Our Place in an Introverted Culture, by Adam S. McHugh
I started this book a few months back. It's the kind of book I needed to digest and not breeze through. But, as an introvert, it was so healing. I've struggled quite a bit within church with feeling like I didn't belong. After reading this book, I was able to understand that while mainstream church may be more culturally extroverted, that God made me an introvert for a purpose. There are aspects to introverts that reflect the character of God and reflect our deep needs as humans. This book put into words many things that I had previously felt as personal convictions, and it also helped me to not feel alone or feel like I need to try to be something that I'm not in order to fit into God's house and Bride. I highly recommend this book if you're an introvert, and I highly recommend this book to extroverts who would like to better understand the value of us introverts and our "weird" differences.

3) A Million Little Ways: Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live, by Emily P. Freeman
Last year, I stumbled across Emily P. Freeman's blog probably through the website, Velvet Ashes. I really enjoyed the points she made about the importance of letting your soul breathe in every day life. Many of her tips for helping your life slow down and be more conducive to soul health are things I've been able to happily put into use. So, after sharing her with my sister, my sister bought some of her books for me for Christmas. This was one of them. The whole premise of the book is to approach life as if you are art--which you are because God made you. In my journey of learning that ministry is less of what I do and is more of who I am, I identified with many of her insights. Here is an excerpt that spoke to me: "And in the midst of all your try-hard effort to do love right, you are missing out on loving well? Are you allowing your own expectations to hinder you from freely expressing yourself? Is your idea of the right way keeping you from your best way?" Her writing style beautifully blends truth with creative metaphors and unique descriptions. It's like poetry, memoir, and prose go on a camping trip and have a late-night conversation.

4) Translating God: Hearing God's Voice for Yourself and the World around You, by Shawn Bolz
I have read a few books educating about the prophetic gift, and this book is a great one in that area. Shawn's writing style is straightforward and easy to read, and he is able to back up his convictions with experiences, testimonies, and scriptures. I first heard of Shawn Bolz while watching the event Azusa Now online. He was called up front to share some prophetic words. He started with some crazy-accurate words of knowledge about people's birthdates, addresses, full names, etc. to identify the individuals in the stadium full of people to whom God wanted to speak. From there, he shared some words related to their lives, their purposes, their callings, questions they'd had, etc. I'd never seen someone give such pinpointed words of knowledge with such detail. Reading this book helped me understand the path of learning and risk that Shawn took in order to develop the gift of prophecy in his life. And, rather than nudging me to put Shawn on a prophetic pedestal of one of the "special ones" God talks to, it actually made me feel like this gift and process is also available to me and anyone else willing to seek deep relationship with God. It's a book I'll definitely refer to again.

Related image
Thumbnail courtesy of amazon.com
I'm looking forward to February. This year has started off well. I hope you can say the same.

What were you into, reading, watching, or enjoying this past month?


Sarah





Comments

Popular Posts