April's Adventures

I kind of feel like the title of this post should actually be the adulting of April since it's been a month of paying taxes, finding a good dermatologist (unfortunately necessary when you have over 50 moles covering the expanse of your body), getting paperwork together for the next step in Raul's green card process, getting the car fixed, and unending dishes and laundry to wash once water has been bought. But where is the fun in that? I am finding it necessary sometimes to read between the lines of my own life. When what seems to stand out on a regular basis is the unending to-do list, the allergy-causing smog, and just the general rhythm of weeks passing by, how is it possible to look a little deeper and see the subtle love letters God sends and the details that make April its own month? There are a couple of practices I've started that have helped to make that reflection possible. Most of them I've learned from Emily P. Freeman. For starters, every time there is something I particularly like I'll just make a little note on my phone in a running monthly note. I am also not great about journaling on a daily basis apart from book excerpts or daily devotional kind of stuff. So, I try to take a little time every Saturday to sit down and write out some details from the week just in list form. Emily P. Freeman calls this her "These Are the Days Of..." list. It's just a little way to be able to look back later and see what small things were going on even if I don't take the time to journal everything that was happening in prose form. Some examples from those lists this month include:
*Raúl slowly improving in English and civics for the US citizenship test.
*Wanting to take a trip.
*How horrible is the movie, The Core?!
*Sloooooooooowww week, but when you're sick, that's good.
*Fruit pizza
*Rocky (my dog) keeping me company--he's the best!
*Finding a new Mexican restaurant
*Visiting with Jorge (the young man I met in 21 de Octubre five years ago who lived in Buen Pastor Home afterward and is now living in a transition home with some lovely North American missionaries).
*Higher electric bills.
*Cold brew iced coffee made at home

The highlights of this month include:

What I've Watched:
1) Touch. This is a show I stumbled upon via Netflix. It only lasted two seasons back in the days of 2012. Though it was short-lived, and I didn't watch it when it was actually on network television, I enjoyed it. The premise follows a father, played by Kiefer Sutherland, as he tries to navigate communicating with his son, Jake, who is somewhere on the autism spectrum and typically non-verbal. Over the course of the show, it's soon apparent that Jake can communicate using numbers and that he seems to have insight into how humans connect across time and space in divine kind of ways. It's very creative how the writers weave a web of interconnecting stories and characters and make the viewers ponder how even their own small actions could affect others.


2) Cinderella. I'd never seen the live-action, newer version of this story, and it was sweet. Cinderella was never really my favorite of the Disney franchise since I was much more of a Belle fan--that library though!--but this movie was nostalgically enjoyable. I like the actress, Lily James, and I really appreciate that they made the character of Cinderella much less of a push-over in this version. They give her a deep motivation for behaving with kindness out of her own choosing which is much more empowering for girls in general. Also, Helena Bonham Carter as the fairy godmother is a quirky gem.


3) The Great Interior Design Challenge. Anything creative calls my attention. During my childhood, when I'd go to visit my Nannie, who had cable, my usual go-to shows were Trading Spaces (which apparently is making a come-back soon) and Iron Chef America. So, I watched some of this during a week or so of sickness. It's a British show which means that after watching it I usually caught myself talking to my dog in an English accent. Basically, it's a competition of amateur interior designers designing different spaces throughout the country short on time and short on money. The judges on this show are kind of annoying, but what makes this show unique is how much they include the history of the various areas where they are doing design work. It's a bit like a low-key documentary of the various countrysides and architecture in England, which is pretty interesting. Also, because the designers have a limited budget, they do a lot of DIY crafting which means I learned some stuff that maybe someday I'll do. Also, it was interesting to see the differences in what is valued and aesthetically pleasing to those in England versus people here.

Image result for lost in space netflix thumbnail
Courtesty of news.newonnetflix.info
4) Lost in Space. This was, by far, the highlight of all things watched. It is rare that Raúl and I find something that we both enjoy watching. Hondurans tend to like things that for me (and possibly most North Americans) are really cliche and sappy. (Just one woman's cultural opinion, of course.) I have yet to find a Spanish-speaking show that doesn't include violence, drugs, weapons, infidelity, etc. Given what I've observed about Latin American social life and news in general, I suppose that's not surprising. But, I definitely don't find it entertaining when I often don't see a lot of character development or growth or an emotionally captivating story beyond shock value. (Again, my own culturally-based opinion.) All of that to say, Raúl and I really liked Netflix's Lost in Space. The characters are fleshed out well using flashbacks, and family roles are explored in an interesting way. The conflicts are both internal and external, and Raúl greatly enjoyed the robot and the action challenges of navigating through space. I really enjoy shows that incorporate problem-solving and critical thinking even when it's in a fictional, unscientific form. Lost in Space includes a lot of that attitude of "how can we do the best we can with what we have" which appeals to this missionary who has to ask herself that question from time to time as well. 


Books I Finished in April:
Image result for francine rivers bridge to haven thumbnail
Courtesy of christianbits.co.uk

1) Bridge to Haven by Francine Rivers. I have nearly exhausted my stash of Francine Rivers' fiction. As usual, I finished this book within a couple days because she is a good story teller. The story follows Abra, a young lady who was adopted by two different families in a small town after being abandoned under a bridge, and who finds herself falling into the rabbit hole of Hollywood through an ex-boyfriend. As she grapples with questions about identity and worth, the people she can't seem to believe love her continue to hold a candle for her return home. While I picked up on the build up toward the twist ending quite a few chapters before it occurred, it was still enjoyable. I wouldn't call it a life-changing book, but it was an interesting escape.


Image result for talking as fast as I can lauren graham thumbnail
Courtesy of mashable.com 

2) Talking As Fast As I Can by Lauren Graham. I had a free trial of Amazon's Audible, so I decided to take advantage of listening to this on audiobook. The last time I listened to audiobooks was probably when I was little, and my mom would take my brother and I to the library to check out books on tape that they put into giant plastic bags with blue handles. This book was a lot of fun to listen to and so much more enjoyable because of Lauren Graham's own narration. Gilmore Girls, for whatever reason, is one of those shows that feels like home to me. I never saw an episode until I was living with my great aunt in North Carolina the summer that I worked before college. But, inevitably, who makes the show is the character of Lorelai and Lauren Graham's larger than life depiction of her. She's dysfunctional but the kind of down-to-earth, quirky person that I could see myself being friends with. Even her story line in Netflix's A Year in the Life was enjoyable even though I hated almost everything else about it. There is nothing likable about Rory's adult character, and don't even get me started on that life-sucking musical. But I digress. This book is like sitting down with Lauren Graham over a sandwich at a restaurant just to hear her stories. She's refreshingly honest and not far-off from the character of Lorelai, which she readily admits. I like her stories about childhood, about the Parenthood set, and about how she started writing. The only downside that I could tell of this being an audio book is that there was no supplementary pictures as there are in the physical book, and she does refer to them in her reading.


Image result for keys to heaven's economy shawn bolz thumbnail
Courtesy of amazon.com

3) Keys to Heaven's Economy by Shawn Bolz. This book is actually a short read, but it was the kind of book that I needed to digest little-by-little, and I'm still digesting it. This is a life-changing kind of book especially since it shares a series of visions and angelic visitations that the author, Shawn Bolz, had over ten years ago. Some of what he shares are confirmations of things I've experienced and believe, and other things are new revelations to me. He talks about how we do have access to the riches of the Kingdom of God because of being God's children. But, what he asserts is far from prosperity gospel because he emphasizes that God releases His finances for the purpose of accomplishing the missions of His Kingdom and His strategies for fulfilling the Great Commission and bringing Heaven to earth. The only way that we will see the fulfillment of God's economic blessings is when we surrender our selfish desires in order to live in obedience to God and His desires. With that said, God is the author of creativity, and He delights in showing us His secrets when He knows that we will steward them well and not for our own comfort and benefit. He also tears down the assumption that there are secular jobs and that there are spiritual jobs. All jobs, businesses, etc. are an invitation to bring Heaven to earth. We can all be missionaries within our place of work and operate in the supernatural outside of the four walls of church buildings.
Some excerpts I especially enjoyed are:

"We are coming into a season in which spiritual commissioning to a secular job is as important as a full-time ministry. Those in secular positions must have the same intensity of calling as those who have received a mandate for church ministry."

"When we come into agreement with God's purposes, he will release any key we need that will deliver to Jesus what belongs to him."

"Earthly riches apportioned for a spiritual purpose will be distributed to those who align themselves with heaven's goals and the flowchart of eternity. These riches cannot be delegated to those who seek their own success and tithe their small percentage on earth. Rather, they will be allotted to those who will live sacrificially, pouring out their costly nard to anoint Jesus' feet and cleansing them with their hair (their glory), those who will give their last mite for the temple offering. . . . he will reward those who walk the narrow road. This road contains no motives for selfish gain--only the longing to prepare the bride for her wonderful Beloved."

"If we overcome the spirit of the world in whatever occupation we choose, God will give us dominion and power--a new means to operate in a higher role than that available in the natural."

"I don't believe anyone can truly prosper in God's kingdom without a heart for the poor."

Favorite Things This Month:
1) DuoLingo. DuoLingo is an free app for the purpose of learning other languages. I initially downloaded it onto Raúl's phone to help him learn English, but upon seeing the interface and flexibility of it, I decided to give it a try myself. So, I'm learning Portuguese. Everything about DuoLingo is learning by doing. There are no tutorials or grammar rules, which if I'm honest, I miss. But, for casual learning of a language, it's useful. You can set individualized goals for how long you'd like to work in DuoLingo per day, and it'll send you a reminder if you haven't entered the app yet to fulfill your goal.

2) Whatsapp video calls. Whatsapp is another app. It is incredibly popular here to use with wi-fi or internet data for communication via voice recording, video or audio calls, and messaging. Back in the day, I used to have to have lots of prepaid phone minutes to be able to call my family. Now, we can have video calls where I can see my grandparents, and they can see me, and my dad and I can share a little face-to-face time on his days off. I know that there are a lot of other apps with this same function. This is just the one that seems to work the best for me.

3) Exercising. A few months after I moved here, I started running. It was a way of disciplining myself and also to slim down. I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, running here on terrain that isn't just rocky, non-stop hills means getting up at 5 am, when it's still dark, to run on the nearby high school's basketball court before class is in session or before a line of high school boys are sitting by watching me. That was easier for me years ago because I didn't have an unending to-do list. Now, trying to convince myself to get up that early to run is so much more difficult. And, if I miss that window of time, later in the day, the sun makes running seem pretty unbearable. So, I decided that until I can better discipline myself, at the very least, I can do some Youtube video exercises or basic in-home weight training or HIIT exercises. I made myself up a schedule of what areas of the body to work on each day and what cardio videos to use, and it was going pretty consistently well--until I got sick for a week or so. I enjoyed it for the most part, and I need to get back into it.


Good Eats:
1) Thai sweet chili chicken with vegetables. Here in Honduras, we have a population of people who immigrated from China, which also means that we have some markets that cater to the demand for Asian food ingredients. At one of these markets, I came across some sweet red chili sauce and decided to make this dish. It's labor-intensive because of the battering and frying, so I actually made this with Raúl's help. I like the effect of a cornstarch batter because it soaks up the sauce so well without falling apart. We made this with zucchini and carrots, but you could make this with the vegetables of your choosing. Once Raúl tried some, he declared that he had a new favorite food.

2) Creamy make-ahead scrambled eggs. Every Saturday, I make enough food to feed 15 people for our discipleship group at home. I generally try to vary the food, but sometimes, it really just depends on the budget I have to work with. A typical Honduran dinner is actually pretty economical here. It includes eggs, beans, avocado, fried plantain, sometimes a fried piece of bologna, and of course, tortillas. So, taking the economical, but still Honduran-approved route, I made a typical Honduran dinner last week. But this time, I made some make-ahead eggs to keep warm in the crock pot since cold eggs aren't appetizing. This recipe was great. I actually forgot to add the cheddar cheese and chives at the end, and it still hit it off well with our house full of teenage boys. The cream cheese is really what makes it good, and I'll definitely be making it again.


Just in case you missed those useful links above, here they are:

1) Netflix's Lost in Space trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzmM0AB60QQ

2) The recipe for Thai sweet chili chicken. https://rasamalaysia.com/thai-sweet-chili-chicken/

3) The recipe for creamy, make-ahead scrambled eggs. https://thefoodcharlatan.com/make-ahead-scrambled-eggs-recipe/

As I wrapped up writing this post, a thunderstorm rolled in. It's now pouring the rain on our tin roof, and I think I'll sign off just to take a short time to enjoy that little love letter after a week full of forest fires, smog, and dust. There is refreshment between the to-do list bullet points and the reminder of Someone greater who is sovereign over it all.

Sarah

Comments

Popular Posts