A Few of My Favorite Things...

It has been a crazy busy couple of weeks. Most of that busyness is caused by situations or events that are out of our ordinary that kind of throw off my rhythm. They're good things, but I just have to navigate my priorities and use my time wisely when I can't do things when I normally do. And, unfortunately, one of the first things that ends up never getting crossed off of the to-do list is blogging. Sometimes, that's because I'm not taking the time to process what I'm learning. And, sometimes, I am taking time to process what I'm learning, but it's something so personal that I'm not ready to talk about it yet. So, with all of that said, we're going to keep it light this week.

I have done no Christmas shopping yet. Since I will be spending Christmas in Honduras this year, the gifts for my family will all have to be online purchases, and the gifts for Hondurans will have to be bought somewhere here. Honestly, I hate buying gifts here. Everything is crazy expensive, and the selection is pretty limited. So, I'm trying to negotiate with Raúl buying his gifts online and waiting to have them until we can go to the States. I don't think I've sold him on it yet.

At any rate, I thought I'd compile my own little list of favorite things from this ex-pat's perspective. It's not quite the caliber of Oprah's lists though my brother and I did enjoy her Favorite Things show when it was on around the holidays when we got home from school. But, as a lover of lists myself, maybe it'll give you a good idea for shopping, and maybe it'll just give you a look into my brain. Either way, this is what I'm doing this week.

*Just so you know, I don't get paid to review any of this stuff. I'm just commenting on things I have or have heard about with no monetary gain involved.

Favorite Things:

Image result for amazon fire tablet thumbnail
From amazon.com

1) Amazon Fire Tablet. My siblings got this for me last year after my laptop crashed. I never really fancied myself as a tablet kind of person before this since I like a built in keyboard. But, I use this thing every day, and I love it. I use it to play Words with Friends with my grandmother. I listen to podcasts on it while I wash the dishes. When my husband is watching television that is mainly obnoxious news programs or Mexican telenovelas (which he calls stories, not novelas), I can watch Netflix on the tablet. All in all, one of the best gifts I've ever received.

2) Words with Friends app. Scrabble is a tradition in our family. And, Words with Friends, which is basically Scrabble online, lets me and my grandmother and siblings keep that tradition up even from far away. It has a function where you can move the tiles around just to see if you can come up with a real word, and it will tell you if you can play it or not. It also has a dictionary for when you stumble upon a word like that. It's also free.

3) Cheap journals and planners from Marshall's. Every time I'm in the States, I go to the local Marshall's at our mall, and almost always find very cute, lovely, lined journals with sweet sayings and sometimes colored pages for $5-$6. There's nothing so lovely as starting a brand new, fresh journal. They also have nice yearly planners for around the same price.

Image result for tide to go pens thumbnail
From ontimesupplies.com 

4) Tide To-Go Stain Removal Pens. Because a lot of Hondurans handwash their clothes in pilas, the squirt and go stain removal products are usually absent from supermarket aisles. I have on two occasions seen these pens though, and I usually buy them when I'm in the States as well. They're just handy to have around even when we do handwash our clothes.

5) Duolingo. I have mentioned this free app before, but it's worth mentioning again. This app is for learning a new language. I don't think it will get you to fluency because I think real human interaction is necessary for that. But, it does give you a great start with grammar and vocabulary. Learning a language is about absorbing as much as possible in the target language, and this is a great tool for that.

Image result for yeti tumbler thumbnail yeti.com
From sportsmansguide.com

6) Yeti tumbler. I have mentioned this before, but it was a present last Christmas from my grandmother, and I have used it often this year. It keeps things super warm for a long time (or conversely cold). I was not the kind of person who often carried around a to-go cup from my house, but this product has changed that.


Image result for bigelow caramel chai tea
From amazon.com

7) Bigelow Caramel Chai Tea. Every so often, we get some imported products in our supermarkets here, and this was one of those items I randomly picked up. Chai is my favorite anyway, but this is probably my favorite kind of chai that comes in teabags. I've never seen it in supermarkets here or in the US again since then. But, it is available on Amazon apparently.

Image result for pilot gel ink pens
From walmart.com
8) Pilot gel ink pens. I am kind of a pen snob. Because I am constantly writing in a planner, journal, and a notebook, making lists and notes and reflections, I love gel ink pens. I like that they write smoothly and leave bold marks on the page. The only downside is that the ink doesn't dry instantaneously, and sometimes, my hand smears it while writing. Doesn't deter me from using them though.


Image result for ghirardelli 72% dark chocolate
From ghirardelli.com

9) Ghirardelli 72% Cacao Twilight Delight Dark Chocolate. Most candy doesn't impress me and can be in my cupboard for long periods of time without my touching it. Not so for chocolate, however. A lot of chocolate in Honduras is cheap and tastes like medicine. Not a fan of that, but I can eat a Snickers or Milky Way with joy. But, when I really want to treat myself and simultaneously tell myself that I'm being ever so slightly more healthy in my choices, this is what I choose. I get that dark chocolate isn't for everyone because it's bitter, but it's also rich. And, in the realm of dark chocolate, this is a great option.


Image result for blackout cd steffany gretzinger
From shop.bethel.com

10) Blackout by Steffany Gretzinger. I've mentioned this CD before, but I haven't been into new music too much this year. I like Steffany Gretzinger a lot, and while this CD is more amped up with effects and stylistic elements than her very pared down first album, I like it. Her lyrics are still personal and vulnerable which keeps with that pared down theme. Worth the listen.


11) Microplane. This is a small object that saves me lots of time. I cook most meals from scratch, and a lot of the convenience products that are so widely used in the States are either hard to come by or they're expensive. So, whereas at my mom's home you pull out a jar of minced garlic for your dishes, I pull out my microplane to grate ginger, garlic, and lime zest right into the dish.


Image result for e.l.f. makeup primer
From elfcosmetics.com

12) e.l.f. Mineral Infused Face Primer. I keep my makeup routine relatively minimal except probably for eye makeup. But, I bought this on a whim in the States, and I like it. I don't often wear foundation because I have pretty sensitive skin. This product makes my skin really smooth, and I just put powder right over top of it.


13) The Greatest Showman. If you haven't seen this movie yet, the holidays are a perfect time to take the opportunity. This movie loosely follows the story of P. T. Barnum (played by Hugh Jackman) and his circus building. It has an inspiring message and feeling of family and home. It is energetic with carefully choreographed singing and dance scenes. It's one of those movies I can watch over and over, and the song This Is Me still makes me tear up.


Image result for soda booties
From amazon.com
14) Soda Scribe Cut-Out Booties. I bought these shoes because I wanted a pair of shoes that were somewhere between dressy and casual and boots and sandals. I like boots a lot, and Raúl, small-town boy that he is, likes it when I wear boots. But, it's usually too warm here for me to wear them. These were my compromise. I don't often wear heels, but these are comfortable enough for how often I wear them.

Image result for mucinex thumbnail
From ontimesupplies.com

15) Mucinex--or the generic equivalent. I get that this is not exactly a gift to give, but I have to tell you that this is something I buy every time I'm in the States (though I have heard that they may sell it in Honduras now). I am prone to respiratory issues, and with neighbors burning trash and constant dust, this is how I often avoid bronchitis and overuse of antibiotics. As I also have the reputation in our circle of friends as someone who usually has a good stash of OTC medicines (thanks to my mom, the nurse), this is the medicine I end up giving to others the most.


Image result for l. l. bean luggage scale alarm
From camisadedon.com
16) L. L. Bean Luggage Scale/Alarm Clock/Flashlight. What you see in the picture is what I have, but it's an older model, so I'm sure they probably sell something else nowadays that serves similar purposes. My parents gave me this scale probably close to ten years ago, and it's still going strong. I use it for every time that I fly. It's durable though a bit bulky because of the hook. And my only complaint is that it's a bit hard to change the batteries. Other than that, it's been one of my most practical, most used possessions.

17) Tempered Glass Screen Cover. I never felt like these were necessary because I used to have a cover for my phone that folded over the screen, covering it. Now that I don't have that kind of case, my husband insisted on putting a tempered glass cover on my screen, and boy, am I glad that he did. We live in an environment with hard surfaces--dirt roads with rocks, tile floors, concrete steps, etc. I have dropped my phone on many occasions, and while the tempered glass has about three cracks in it now, my actual screen does not.

18) Humans of New York. A couple of years ago, I started following Humans of New York on Facebook. HONY basically started when a photographer started stopping people on the streets of New York to take their picture and interview them. As someone who used to have a column in the college paper called "Everyone Has a Story," I really enjoy reading the things that people will share with a total stranger. Recently, the man behind this ongoing series (and coffee table books and humanitarian fundraising efforts) shared some stories from his travels in Africa. The stories that he shared from Rwanda were eye-opening, courageous, and heart-breaking. Following HONY on Facebook is free, or you can check out the website: http://www.humansofnewyork.com/
Reading these stories is a good way to be able to have your fingers on the pulse of humanity both in New York and from many places in the world. It's a good reminder of the things that we have in common even across the globe.


Image result for avon chapstick
From amazon.com

19) Avon Care Deeply Chapstick with Aloe. I seem to have perpetually chapped lips, and I've picked up all different kinds of chapstick. I'm not normally a huge fan of Avon products, but this chapstick my grandmother gave to me while in the States. It's the only one that quickly softens up my lips and eases the pain of cracked skin.


Image result for denizen levi curvy jeans target
From target.com

20) Denizen Levi's Curvy Boot Cut Jeans. The other day, a friend of mine realized that you could measure a pair of pants by wrapping the waist around your neck instead of having to try them on. While that is a good trick, my issue is almost never the waist of a pair of pants but rather the bum. Most economic jeans seem like they are not made with curvy ladies in mind. But, I have had a lot of luck with jeans from Target. I bought a pair of Denizen Levi's Curvy jeans on sale at Target a couple years ago, and they're still my favorite. They are flattering and flexible but also very soft material without being too thin.


Wish List Items:
1) Grocery Bag Carrier. (You'll just have to google an image for that because there are a lot of different designs.) This is one of those things that is small and probably not totally necessary, but could be one of those things that I later say to myself over and over, "Wow, that's actually pretty helpful." I am one of those people who would prefer to make one trip from the car to the house when carrying groceries. I have been known to break blood vessels in my arms by lining up heavy bags all along my stick arms just to avoid making another trip. Given that we park our car on a steep, dirt road hill and walk down that steep hill to our house (and that our dog insists on enthusiastically greeting us the whole way down), I could see where these would be useful...especially when it's pouring the rain.


Image result for homebody joanna gainesImage result for magnolia table joanna gaines amazon
From amazon.com                                     


2) Homebody or Magnolia Table by Joanna Gaines. One of my guilty pleasures when I'm in the States is to buy whatever issue of The Magnolia Journal, the magazine, that's out. And, I'll be honest that while I often like Joanna Gaines' earthy, homey, rustic styles to a point, her aesthetic isn't always my favorite. But, I love her message and example. Reading her reflections and seeing how God has taken someone who was initially timid and cautious shine in all of her God-given talents is so encouraging to me.

Image result for anker portable charger
From ebay.com
3) Portable Phone Charger. This is one of those things that Raúl and I should probably have already, but we don't. Our electricity goes off every so often, and Raúl is constantly stealing my chargers since he can't seem to keep from losing his own, or he'll be MIA for hours because his phone his dead. I could see where this would be useful.


Image result for speak out game spanish version
From amazon.com
4) Speak Out game (the Spanish version). My parents have this game already, and we have spent hours of so much fun laughing because of it. If you want a fun demonstration of how it is played, check out Chris Pratt playing it on Ellen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6UkFtWYl8
Games here are pricier than I like, but I may splurge on this one just so we can have a good time with some of our kids this Christmas.

5) Spices. Here, the spices you'll find are salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, garlic salt, garlic powder, parsley, achiote, and "especias" which could just be pepper and cumin or it could be a really nice blend of bay leaf, cumin, pepper, and a couple other things. There may be a few other options, but finding more specialized spices is very hit and miss. As someone who is a cheapskate foodie, I'm often bringing back spices like cardamom and garam masala from the States.


Well, that is the list for this year.  I would love to hear what your favorite things are. I'm always keeping my eyes open for new, unique things to try or tried and true products that serve great, practical purposes. Feel free to share of your wisdom and good finds.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving week. Raúl and I are keeping things low-key, but I will be cooking and watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on Thursday. We're also really hoping that we have some good news from the US embassy to be thankful for as Raúl has his visa appointment on Wednesday. If you think about it, say a little prayer for us! I am thankful for you, my readers, and I feel humbled that you choose to spend your time reading my thoughts. Much love to you all!

Comments

Popular Posts