Notable November

This post is obviously quite late because we're ten days into December, but its tardiness is a good indicator that we're into the busy holiday season. November was a jam-packed month in the best way possible. It was also the culmination of some truly good things--mainly, Raúl got his visa! More on that later. This month, I had the opportunity to go to the Women of Purpose retreat and spend a few days with over a hundred other women missionaries who serve all around Honduras, and the ladies who host it raise money all throughout the year so that the experience was totally free for us missionary ladies. What a labor of love! (And shout-out to my home state because many of those ladies are from West Virginia; good things come out of West Virginia.) Raúl and I both had family members celebrating birthdays, and Raúl's nephew graduated from kindergarten (that was a cultural experience, let me tell you). All in all, it has been a month of joy, and I find myself truly marveling at God's faithfulness and lifting up thanksgiving in the most mundane moments.

What I Cooked (or Tried):
Being the month of Thanksgiving, it was obviously a month of much cooking. I love autumn flavors, and though we don't really have an autumn here, I still like to capture the feel of the season with seasonal ingredients.

1) Homemade Apple Cider. Like many things, here in Honduras, if I want apple cider, I have to make it from scratch myself--something I've done many years here. It does get easier with the aid of a crockpot in terms of the cooking of the apples, but it is still labor-intensive because of all of the straining. The silver lining of that is that it does create apple sauce as a side effect. I typically just put in as many apples as will fit in my crockpot--a mixture of gala and red delicious since we don't have access to too many varieties here. I also add one orange. The spices I use are cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, and peppercorns. I don't typically have access to allspice or whole star anise, but it doesn't make too much of a difference to me. If you need a more set recipe, here were some of my inspirations: https://lifemadesweeter.com/crock-pot-apple-cider/  or https://thestayathomechef.com/slow-cooker-apple-cider/
While both of these recipes are for crockpots, you can also make apple cider on the stove top. I've done that before too. And, if I were Stateside, I would probably just buy a gallon of the pre-packaged stuff and mull it with spices in the crockpot. No apple sauce side effect, but definitely easier.

2) Roasted Veggie Blender Salsa. Veggies are better roasted, and when cooking for a crowd, vegetables tend to stretch farther when blended into salsa. This is as straightforward as it sounds--roast up some tomatoes, peppers (include jalapeños if you like some heat), garlic, and onions in olive oil. Blend it with some lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, and cumin. Serve with tortilla chips. If you need some inspiration, here is: https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/roasted-tomato-salsa.html

3) Herb Roasted Turkey Breast with Veggies. While I have cooked a Thanksgiving feast for people here in Honduras (though they don't celebrate Thanksgiving here), this year, with Raúl's visa interview being the day before, it was just going to be too hectic to attempt that. So, I opted to cook for just the two of us--thus, the turkey breast rather than a whole turkey. But, I have to be honest and say that we both regretted that I didn't make a whole turkey because it was so good, and we went through the leftovers far too quickly. I am all for doing anything to up the flavor and seasoning of food. So, I usually brine the turkey for a day or two before cooking. The brine usually consists of a solution of salt, sugar, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, bay leaves, parsley, rosemary, and peppercorns. When it's Turkey Day, I bring the bird to room temperature, take it out of the brine, pat it dry, and rub it down with a mixture of butter, cooking wine, herbs, and spices. This time, I also basted the turkey breast every 20-30 minutes with that same mixture. I have previously used a roasting pan with a rack, but this time, I cut up some vegetables (cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and carrots) and placed the turkey breast right on top of those. The veggies turned out so delicious this way! The key to cooking poultry, as I've learned, is to never overcook! It gets dry and tough when it's overcooked. And, the tool needed to make sure you don't overcook is a meat thermometer. The internal temperature is what lets you know when the bird is done, and once it's done, you have to let it rest for a bit so all of the juices don't escape when you cut it. For some guidance, I used:
www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/herb-roasted-turkey-breast-with-pan-gravy-recipes-2268617.amp

4) My Grandmother's Yeast Rolls. When I lived in the States, I was a bread lover. My mom has long made bread in a bread maker, and I grew up loving homemade bread. I hate highly processed, sliced bread and have no trouble avoiding it. Most of the bread in Honduras is hard and dry and not enjoyable to my palate at all. So, I don't eat much bread here. I went through a phase when I first lived in Honduras where I made homemade bread. I learned a lot during that time, but I haven't made a lot of bread since because it makes such a mess and the idea of kneading makes me feel lazy. But, Thanksgiving seemed like a good time to break out those skills again. So, I asked my grandmother for her roll recipe. She usually makes it in a bread maker, but it turned out just as well making it by hand. Raúl loved them and took most of them to work to eat with canned cranberry sauce. Here it is:

Mix 2 and a half teaspoons of dry yeast with one and a half cups of warm water. Let it sit till the yeast dissolves. In another bowl, mix 2 cups of flour with 1/3 cup of sugar. Stir the yeast mixture, 1/3 cup of softened butter, one egg, and 1 teaspoon of salt into the flour mixture. Add 2 more cups of flour to this mixture to form a dough. Knead the dough on a floured board for about 10 minutes. Put the ball of dough into an oiled bowl, cover it with a towel, and let it rise for about two hours until doubled. Punch the dough down and make into rolls on the baking sheet. Cover and let it rise again about another hour. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown. (You can brush the tops with some melted butter or egg wash to get a better golden color.)

Image result for persimmons
from simplyrecipes.com

5) Persimmons. I always like to be on the lookout for new foods to try. Some persimmons happened to appear in our supermarket, so I bought a couple to try since we'd never eaten them before. I learned that you apparently have to be careful about what type it is and when it's ripe because they can be astringent. It looks a bit like a tomato and has a texture similar to a tomato, but the taste is nice and sweet. Raúl and I both liked it.


What I Watched:

1) Making a Murderer. As with many things, I'm late to the game on this one, but I decided to watch it once season 2 came out on Netflix. I am pretty fascinated by mysteries, and I'm moved by social justice issues. This documentary captures both. This show follows the true story of Steven Avery, a man who was falsely convicted, served a sentence of many years, and was ultimately released on the basis of DNA evidence but then later accused and convicted of a different crime in his same home town after he sued over his false conviction. The premise of the documentary is how messed up the legal system can be, how little accountability there is in some cases for those in the legal system, and how poor individuals often slip through the cracks because of their lack of resources and access to adequate representation.As I'm from a small town, and this case takes place in a small town, I can totally believe that there was some manipulation of processing and of the case in general based on small town politics. But, I am also inclined to believe that no one is 100% innocent. Mixed into the drama and questions of the Steven Avery case is the baffling circumstances of his nephew, Brendan Dassey. Dassey at the time of the case was a teenager in high school who had some mental impairments. The argument the documentary makes is that he was coerced into falsely confessing to participating in the crime with Steven Avery. Watching the recordings of his confession, I'd be very inclined to agree. The heartbreaking aspect of all of this is that these are the real lives of individuals who are still in jail and who have families and who are still trying to go through the legal process to recover their freedom. It was a show that rolled around in my thoughts long after watching.

2) Bohemian Rhapsody. This movie follows the real-life story of Freddie Mercury of the band Queen. If you know anything about Freddie Mercury, you know that his life and habits were controversial, so a movie depicting him was bound to include some of that. So, I can understand that the choice to see it or not it is one based on personal convictions that each individual needs to make. The reason why I decided to see it is that I really appreciate story and especially real-life story. I like to understand the souls around me and why they are the way they are even if I don't agree with their choices or lifestyles. Watching or hearing someone's story spurs me to compassion. Rami Malek gave a phenomenal performance that was approved by the rest of the members of Queen, and as I watched it, I really felt overwhelmed with the sense that God made Freddie Mercury as a leader with so many talents and unique creativity. But my heart broke as I watched how his loneliness and emptiness affected his life. I can't help but wonder who Freddie Mercury would have been and how he would've lived if he'd known how very much he was loved by God.

3) First Man. This year is a tough year for being a great movie because there is just so much competition in that department this year. Sadly, I think this movie has fallen through the cracks somewhat, and that is so disappointing because it was so good. Growing up, naturally, I knew that Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon, but I never learned what all led up to that pivotal moment in his life and our history. This movie was pretty true to life from what I've researched as Neil's two sons consulted and contributed to the film for two years. Neil was a humble, introverted man who led with his perseverance and character. He was affected greatly by the loss of his daughter Karen to cancer and the loss of many colleagues throughout the process of space exploration and preparation for the moon landing. While a lot of the characters in the running for Oscars this year were expressive, flamboyant, and attention-grabbing, Neil Armstrong was the opposite of that. That's why I think Ryan Gosling actually did a much more amazing acting job on this film because he had to express himself with silence. He had to convey the pressure of emotions unexpressed and a complicated man who carried his grief deeply within. Claire Foy, the only person from First Man nominated for a Golden Globe, also gave a great performance as Neil's wife. The style of this movie has notes like a documentary rather than a theatrical performance even though the events took place on the international stage of world events. The director puts the audience in the pilot's perspective and visually depicts a lot of emotional symbolism. Another winning aspect of this film is its music--so beautiful.


What I Read:
Image result for a practical guide to evangelism supernaturally
from amazon.com

1) A Practical Guide to Evangelism Supernaturally by Chris Overstreet. I read this book in anticipation of starting a new unit on evangelism with our small group. It's a quick, easy read with a straightforward style. It includes many personal testimonies and is structured to be able to use as a Bible study. (Perfect for our small group!) The premise is that evangelism is something that all Christians are called to do--not just the people who are evangelists within the five-fold ministry, and he also talks about how the Holy Spirit can enable us to evangelize in a more personal, compassionate way as Jesus did and less like a salesman selling an idea with persuasion. As someone who has always felt very uncomfortable with the formulaic sales pitches of most ways of evangelizing, it's a breath of fresh air to know that there are other ways that emphasize honoring others and truly showing love above all else. And, my favorite aspect of this book are the personal stories that give an example of the concept being taught.


Image result for wild at heart john eldredge
from amazon.com

2) Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of Man's Soul by John Eldredge. This is a book that I don't know that I would've picked up on my own, but since I found it/inherited it from my Granddad's library, I gave it a try. I'm glad I did. As a woman reading a book geared more toward men, there were a few things where I had to stop and pause and say, "Hmm, I need to process that to know whether I agree with that or not." But there were many nuggets of wisdom that actually made it easier to understand my own husband. The author had a broken relationship with his father, and he shares a lot about how this affected him as a father and husband later on. This book was not a quick read for me. It's not a hard read in terms of information to process, but the style at times felt a little patronizing or cliché. However, overall, I came away with a better understanding of my husband's need to receive affirmation from other men especially in light of what was lacking in his childhood. I came away with the understanding of how identity plays such a huge role in how men develop and how a lack of established identity will drive a man to find his identity in a myriad of things. I also felt affirmed in some of my own feelings that while masculinity does have a certain drive and need for adventure or a fight and risk and wildness, that the men who really carry that out well are those who also understand that risking vulnerability within love and family, fighting for connection with others, and being wild in having a life of supernatural adventure with the Creator are actually more important in being a man than adrenaline for adrenaline's sake or physical displays of masculinity. And as a woman, I received a renewed sense of what a life of adventure can mean for me as well. Here are some excerpts that were notable enough to make it into my journal:
"Life is not a problem to be solved; it is an adventure to be lived."

"You literally sacrifice your soul and your true power when you insist on controlling things."

"If you had permission to do what you really want to do, what would you do? Don't ask how that will cut your desire off at the knees. How is never the right question; how is a faithless question. It means 'unless I can see my way clearly I won't believe it, won't venture forth.' . . . How is God's department. He is asking you what. What is written on your heart? What makes you come alive? If you could do what you've always wanted to do, what would it be? You see, a man's calling is written on his true heart, and he discovers it when he enters the frontier of his deep desires." 


Image result for changes that heal
from barnesandnoble.com

3) Changes That Heal: How to Understand Your Past to Ensure a Healthier Future by Dr. Henry Cloud. As is usually the case with Cloud and Townsend books, this was not a quick read for me. Because I have read so many other books that they've written with similar topics, it also wasn't as eye-opening as some of the others just because it makes a lot of the same points that I've read in their other books. With that said, it is a good resource. The chapters cover the importance of bonding, the importance of boundaries, learning how to accept the good and bad in life, and maturing into adulthood. If you haven't read any books by Dr. Henry Cloud or Dr. John Townsend, this book is as good of a start as any. Some excerpts that shed some light onto the wisdom it offers are:

"If we feel responsible for other people's feelings, we can no longer make decisions based on what is right; we will make decisions based on how others feel about our choices."

"When we see our failures and sin as a lack of love for another person, instead of 'badness,' then we have moved to a more mature way of seeing issues of good and bad."

4) "Young Evangelicals Speak Out" by The New York Times. This was some online reading that I did. Even if you don't like The New York Times or don't necessarily agree with what it is reporting in this article about viewpoints that younger evangelical Christians are wrestling with especially in relation to politics, it's valid to read what others have to say. I don't know that I agreed with all or any of the viewpoints, but I think it's important as the Body of Christ to know where other people in our same family stand. If nothing else, it serves to give insight into the many viewpoints that exist across the board within the realm of Christian evangelicals. It's easy to want to stick our heads in the sand and believe that everyone sees things as we do or to dismiss the experiences of other people who also make up the Body of Christ, but humanity is complicated, and compassion is best developed by learning about others. Here is the link: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/01/us/young-evangelicals-politics-midterms.html

5) "My Beautiful, Broken Barrio" from the blog Blessed by the Broken Hearted by Michael Miller. This blog was written during the height of the immigrant caravans to the US, and it was written by the director of a ministry here in Honduras that has been ministering for many years to young men and boys who have lived on the streets and struggled with drug addiction. As someone also pretty well acquainted with that world and the heartache of Honduras, it was just a refreshing read that put a face of humanity on what is most often painted as a political issue. Here is the link: https://blessedbythebrokenhearted.com/2018/11/02/my-beautiful-broken-barrio/

6) "An Invitation to Healthy Busy" by Emily P. Freeman. This blog is actually a few years old, but I think it's still relevant in this busy holiday season. Too often I see points of view about busyness or productivity that are all or nothing. It's either you're a bad person because you work too much and don't take care of your family, your relationships, or yourself OR it's the other end of the spectrum that you're not being productive or successful enough in your life, your family, your career, your side hustle, whatever. The way Emily makes the distinction between busyness and hurried anxiety is insightful. There will inevitably seasons in life where things are just busy. Shaming someone for that is counterproductive. Presenting a case for maintaining an inner sense of God's calming presence in the midst of our chaotic storms of circumstances is wise. Here is the link: https://emilypfreeman.com/invitation-healthy-busy/


Favorites:
1) The culmination of Raúl's visa process. I think it goes without saying that we were overjoyed and relieved that he got it, and I feel so blessed that I will finally be able to share so many precious aspects of my life with my husband in the form of experiences rather than just stories.

2) A great date night. Because we live in the capital city, we actually have some pretty good access to various enjoyable activities. Early in November, I found out that one of the local malls was going to have a free jazz concert to mark the lighting of their Christmas tree, so we went. I love jazz music, and the songs they played were Christmas carols and Frank Sinatra songs. I was overjoyed. Raúl, ever the fan of techno music and more lively fare, was less impressed. But it felt pretty magical to me. That same night, I had a pumpkin chai latte--a simple joy that let me feel like a part of the US culture from far away. And we concluded the night at the bookstore that has a whole section of books in English. Basically, it was a night of heaven for me. I don't think it was a favorite for my husband, but we keep it pretty balanced, taking turns in experiences we both like.

3) Mahler 5 by the Orquesta Sinfónica de Tegucigalpa. In keeping with the enjoyable experiences, Josuan and I made our way to a concert of classical music by an orchestra. A friend of ours plays in the orchestra. The arts are present in Honduras, but it's easy to forget that they're there sometimes because they aren't super prominent if you're not looking for opportunities to participate in or see them. This was Josuan's first experience with an orchestra performance, and he was impressed. It was truly beautiful. And, to be honest, in a culture that is often most known for its looseness about time, lack of education, or finding creative (sometimes questionable) ways to make do in the midst of poverty and difficulties, it was actually really amazing to witness Hondurans who have so honed their craft with discipline, time investment, and perseverance. It was an experience that gave joy to my senses, wonder to my soul, and hope in my ministry. Oftentimes I feel like the attitude Honduras faces is similar to that question asked in the Bible of "What good can come from Nazareth?" And the truth is that so much beauty can and does come from Honduras if you're willing to look for it.

4) Family of Promise Movie Night. For the whole year, Raúl and I have hosted a small group in our home on Saturday nights. We've been really blessed by the crowd that God has sent our way. During small group, we share a meal together and then spend some time in prayer and in learning from the Bible. While that aspect is important, we also have wanted to continue to foster community through fun activities that are more geared toward providing a family environment where our kids can enjoy themselves in a safe place with positive activities. We'd had this intention for a long time, but we struggled to find the time to make it happen. I committed to jumpstarting that at the end of November, and so far, it's been really special. We had a movie night at our house and watched The Greatest Showman. Raúl didn't expect too many people for this event. Boy, was he shocked when he saw 14 people crammed into our living room. We shuffled around furniture to make sure everyone could see and passed around bags of microwave popcorn and cups of ice cream. The kids loved the movie even though I'm not sure they're huge fans of musicals in general. And, they've indicated that they'd love to have more activities like this.



This year is wrapping up well, and I'm trying to be purposeful in building in times of slowness, times of wonder, and times of rest. It is so easy to get caught up in all of the things that have to be done and needs that are arising. It's easy to let the rush of the season dictate an attitude of anxiety. But, I am doing my best to breathe, to be mindful, to sip my coffee a little slower, to really listen, to really observe, and to embrace my limitations as an invitation to depend on the One greater than I.

Comments

Popular Posts