January: "Strive for progress, not perfection."

This month has felt like an old man flying in a little airplane, goggles firmly planted, wind whipping his wrinkles all around, giant smile on his face as the plane races forward and dips and loops. It has simultaneously moved at break-neck speeds with unexpected turbulence and a couple of birds sucked up into the engine and felt like a lifetime forming deep wrinkles of life lived and progress made on the face of my time spent. All in all, it's been an excellent start to a new year. The quote from the title has been a constant reminder in my head especially when I'm totaling tax figures while the dishes are piled up, when I'm trying to get some writing done as someone's new need arises, and I'm wishing that time would slow down. The truth of the matter is that it only does when I let it, and that quite simply isn't done without some effort on my part. The organizer in my head can make a mean schedule and fill pages with to-do lists. But, my inner rebelling human will inevitably balk when I've tried to fill every second with productivity. So, there is grace, and there is progress rather than perfection.

What I Watched:
1) Mary Poppins Returns. I started my year in what seems like a lifetime ago by crying my way through this movie. Emily Blunt was perfect casting. What I love most about her depiction is that she captures the essence of the person of Mary Poppins without trying to emulate Julie Andrews. And, the differences between the classic character and this new take are appropriate for the shifts in the story's circumstances. It's much easier to keep light-hearted in instruction and feign gasps over the fear of impropriety when life's circumstances are malleable and life's crises are heart-breaking but not stability-ending. In this new setting for the Banks, their world has been shaken by the death of Michael's wife, and living in Depression-era London means that stability is elusive, and uncertainty lingers in the air. It's only fitting that Emily Blunt's Mary Poppins act more snarky and feign a certain jadedness of being the all-knowing rescuer. She maintains her mystery and magic but also carries a kind of subtle sadness and nostalgia that younger audiences probably won't pick up on, but older audiences will snatch up like a beloved, lost toy. The movie is both cathartic and truly feel-good. As a movie that had such incredible shoes to fill and such cherished source material, it is a wonder. Few movies drawing from something so classic achieve the right amount of honor for the old and transformation into something new. With all of that said, I so missed Bert's character. I loved Dick Van Dyke's cameo, and I also think Lin-Manuel Miranda did a great job with the role he was granted in the story. And, the reality is that I don't think anyone could have played a new Bert. How would anyone compete with a 90-year-old who can still charmingly dance on top of a desk?! But, perhaps the subtle sadness in this Mary Poppins' eyes is due to the loss of the person who just seemed to "get" her. Overall, an excellent film.

2) Tidying Up with Marie Kondo. So, yes, I jumped on the bandwagon though I watched it kind of before there was a bandwagon? I had already planned to go through my whole house and get rid of stuff, change around furniture, and liven things up with some organization and hygge comfort (on a shoestring, missionary budget!). This show popped up in the beginning of January on Netflix (as cleverly Netflix does, toying with the desire of the masses to make progress in New Year's resolutions), and it seemed only fitting to inspire myself in my own endeavors. I wrote a bit about this show previously, but basically Marie Kondo, who wrote the book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, leads various families in sorting through their belongings and keeping only what "sparks joy." She groups items into categories like clothing, books, papers, etc. I have to say that watching this show did wonders for my folding technique but also made me extremely grateful that I grew up with parents who instilled a mindset of not being materialistic. I was a keeper of sentimental things (still am to a point), but moving to a foreign country kind of broke some of that habit. In general, I can remember as a kid going through lots of stuff pretty often. And, every year, I also remember going through clothing. My siblings and I got a lot of hand-me-downs, and the mindset was usually "if you're going to get something new, get rid of something old you don't wear." The amount of clothes people have on the show is astounding. But then again, I have no closet here and no hidden storage. If it doesn't fit in one free-standing, metal "closet," it's not going to find anywhere else to live. It was helpful to see some of her tips in organization through grouping like objects. And, as someone who has done a lot of translating, her translator seems very talented.

3) 7 Days Out. This show on Netflix covers the days leading up to some major events from various points of view. It has six episodes detail the preparations leading up to the Westminster Dog Show, the Kentucky Derby, NASA's Cassini mission, the re-opening of the number 1 restaurant in the world following renovations, a Chanel fashion show, and a professional video gamer competition. Some of the episodes were more interesting to me than others, but overall, as we know, I like stories. It was unique to see the point of view of someone who was totally new to the Westminster Dog show versus someone who is a professional in working with dogs specifically bred for showing. I loved how personal and emotional the interviews with the scientists and engineers at NASA were. And I felt the anxiety of getting everything done before the re-opening of the Eleven Madison Park, the renowned restaurant. Overall, it was enjoyable to get a peek into the lives of people who are connected to these events and live such different lives. It's nice, sometimes, to be reminded how big the world is and how we're connected as well as how uniquely we can choose to spend our time on earth.


Delicious Eats:
What a glorious month for food! Cooking is very much a personal hobby for me, but it's only fun if I can keep trying to make something new. I started this month off with some successful, very recommendable bangs.

1) Beef Bourguignon with Mashed Potatoes. This dish was already on my list to try, but Jen Hatmaker's book, For the Love, (more on that later) had a recipe for easy beef bourguignon. So, I went forward using her recipe (which was adapted from an Ina Garten recipe) and a couple others as inspiration. This recipe was time-consuming in many ways, and I made it for a date night with Raúl when I hadn't had enough prep time beforehand. We didn't eat until 9pm, but man, was it worth it. This is easily on my new list of all-time favorite foods. It's French and fancy but also so comforting and hearty. This is Ina Garten's recipe: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/beef-bourguignon-recipe-1942045
I did not use frozen onions or the cognac. I also used an economy Merlot because missionary budget.This dish made me want to put mushrooms in every beef stew from now on. I also referenced this recipe: https://cafedelites.com/beef-bourguignon/ Do yourself a favor (especially if you are currently trying to survive the polar vortex in the States) and make this when you have some time to savor and enjoy.


Photo by Oleg Magni

2) Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Gnocchi with Parmesan Rosemary Cream Sauce. This recipe came about strictly because I had a whole lot of leftover mashed sweet potatoes. Gnocchi is a perfect way to take your leftovers a step further. To stretch it even more so and add a new depth of flavor, I also added some canned, pureed pumpkin. Gnocchi is time-consuming to make, especially if you're going to make the little lines on them with a fork, but they are delightful pillows of goodness and not that complicated. Plus, if you're using leftover mashed potatoes it's quicker and easier.
Here are some recipes I used for reference for the gnocchi:
https://foodandnutrition.org/blogs/stone-soup/sweet-potato-pumpkin-gnocchi/
This is the reference for the Parmesan cream sauce. I used milk instead of cream:
https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/sweet-potato-gnocchi-rosemary-parmesan-cream-sauce/
A wonderful aspect of this recipe is that you can freeze the gnocchi and make it directly from the freezer very quickly. It can use up your leftovers and prevent waste. Plus, it's just really delicious.

3) Ratatouille. Another French recipe and another scrumptious, meat-free meal. This is the recipe I used as a reference: https://tasty.co/recipe/ratatouille
I actually had a lot of red and yellow bell pepper that needed used, so I roasted them and blended those in with the rest of the ingredients for the sauce. It made the sauce smoother. I also did not have yellow squash. If you have a lot of leftovers, you can also make your leftovers into a Greek-inspired frittata.

4) Barbecue Baby Back Ribs. My husband had a hankering for ribs this whole month, so at the end of the month, armed with a recipe from Reese Witherspoon's book, Whiskey in a Teacup, (more on that later), I set out to fulfill his craving. They turned out so well he said he preferred my version over ordering them in a restaurant. Reese's dry rub recipe features brown sugar, chili powder, cocoa powder, cayenne pepper, ground oregano, salt, garlic powder, cumin, and onion powder. I did use her dry rub ingredients eye-balling quantities. I didn't use her barbecue sauce recipe to a T, however, as I drew from a variety of recipes and used what was easiest and on hand. These are recipes I used for reference especially in cooking times and temperatures:
https://cafedelites.com/oven-barbecue-ribs/
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220987/baked-bbq-baby-back-ribs/print/


What I Read:
Image result for amazon keeping the fire rolland baker
from amazon.com

1) Keeping the Fire by Rolland Baker. The basis of this book is examining the values that the ministry, Iris Global, has. While that seems pretty specific for a book for the masses, it's worth a read once you know what amazing testimonies have emerged from God's astounding works and miracles in Mozambique and throughout Iris Global's bases. In it, Rolland talks about putting the presence of God and relationship with Him first above all things even "good," ministerial things. It has made all the difference for Iris. They also put a lot of emphasis in keeping themselves humble and close to the poor and the most in need. As a result of just being obedient to God in immersing themselves in the neediest of places, they have come to depend on miracles not as a possibility but as the only option since they can't do things in their own strength. Lastly, while they have suffered for the Lord, they do so with joy as their strength. What I like about the book is that it doesn't take a formulaic approach to ministry. It doesn't say, do x and y so you can have z. Rolland Baker is very honest in saying as they have sought God whole-heartedly, He has been the one to expand and bless the ministry and transform the lives of the people they are reaching. Here are some of my favorite excerpts:

"When we rely on our own powers and strengths, we lock ourselves into a mentality that says human programs and natural resources are enough to change people's hearts and situations. But they are not. This is why, even when it comes to providing relief to those who are in need of food and medicine, we do not depend on our own plans or on worldly finances. We depend entirely on the power and the glory of God. In other words, in our desperation we let the Holy Spirit control every part of the process."

"As we have often said, we are not simply providing humanitarian aid. We are looking for the Kingdom of God among us and want nothing less than for Jesus to dwell among us and reveal Himself gloriously to the hurting and the greatly disadvantaged."

"Nor does God feel loved if we do not enjoy Him, constantly and to overflowing. . . . In ministry, we are to be the friends of God, making Him feel loved and thrilled to have made us.  . . . We are a family filled with life and love. Relationships are all that matters."

"So when we have lost our motivation and [our] hearts run dry, we go back to what it is we value most. When love starts to grow cold, we seek God's face. When we are in need, we trust His supply. When we are at the end of ourselves, we go lower still and to the least of these."

Image result for amazon an appeal to heaven by dutch sheets
from amazon.com

2) An Appeal to Heaven by Dutch Sheets. This very short book is the story of a personal revelation the author had in regard to interceding for the USA. Personally, while I love my country, I tend to have a more global thought when it comes to the church. It's hard for me to get caught up in "God Bless America" messages in part because I live and minister to somewhere that is not the US that is just as valuable to God. With that said, I did enjoy some of the points that Sheets makes and things that God showed him, and I also enjoyed the reminder of how living prophetically with God is often like living in an extended treasure hunt. The historical nature of some of the things that God revealed to the author are also special. Here are some of my favorite points:

"But I'm not asking for a merit-based revival where God gives us tokens of His goodness in response to our excellent behavior. Obviously, God isn't going to award America with a revival simply because He's impressed with our actions. But isn't that the point of revival? If we were "good enough," we wouldn't need one!"

"Our prayers know no bounds so long as we are open to thinking about time from God's perspective, rather than our own."


Image result for a tree grows in brooklyn betty smith
from goodreads.com

3) A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. I decided to get this book after being in the States and watching PBS's The Great American Read. Lauren Graham shared about this, her favorite book. Naturally, since I love Lauren Graham, I dug into some descriptions about the book and felt instantly that it was up my alley. I was right. It took me a bit to get into the book as it starts out slow. But the prose is truly beautiful even as it depicts Francie Nolan's hard life growing up with an alcoholic father and a determined mother. Books become her outlet to freedom, and writing becomes a means of finding out who she wants to be. The book covers Francie's life from birth to becoming a young lady, and I honestly didn't want it to end. Much of the book comes from Betty Smith's own childhood experiences, and she makes Francie's world come alive in such a way that it feels like a place to visit in the mind's eye. It's not so much a typical novel of plot points but rather a series of vignettes digging into what makes a person who she is. Worth the read. And, if you don't believe me, here is a page with a video of Lauren Graham at the bottom sharing about why she likes the book:
https://www.bustle.com/p/lauren-graham-reveals-her-favorite-book-on-pbss-the-great-american-read-you-can-watch-exclusive-clip-right-now-11953614

Image result for whiskey in a teacup book amazon
from amazon.com


4) Whiskey in a Teacup by Reese Witherspoon. I love lifestyle books. I fawn over beautiful photography with amazing lighting. I delight in the inspiration of the included recipes. And I really enjoy personal anecdotes. This book I received from my husband one day "just because," and it was charming. Because I am from West Virginia, I am close enough to Southern culture to appreciate it without necessarily being as fully immersed in it as Reese Witherspoon was growing up. Nevertheless, I read the whole thing in my head with her southern drawl and nodded my head in agreement at many of her points about what it's like to live in the South. The pages are sleek and glossy. The colors of the photographs are uplifting and captivating, and the yellow floral endsheet pattern reminds me of the wallpaper my grandmother has in her old farmhouse. This book felt like home in a lot of ways as it touched on sweet tea, flea markets, and her grandfather's garden. I liked learning about Reese's personal history and could identify with some of it. The recipes are worth a try (see above). This book is quite attractive as a coffee table book or as the lightest of reading after a long day.

Image result for loving people john townsend amazon
from amazon.com

5) Loving People: How to Love and Be Loved by Dr. John Townsend. At this point, I've read a lot of books by Dr. John Townsend and his frequent colleague and co-writer Dr. Henry Cloud. So, much of their material, though excellent and life-changing, can sometimes get repetitive. Not so with this book. This is one of my favorite books geared toward aspects of counseling largely because it is less clinical and much more practical, especially urging people to take the steps to be loving people who also encourage others to grow through support groups and just vulnerable friendship. He emphasizes greatly that love is truly wanting the best--God's best--for another person. That doesn't always look like pleasing that person. He covers making connection and being honest with others even in the midst of conflict as well as how healthy romantic relationships should operate. It's a book I will most definitely be referring back to as time goes on. Here are a couple of excerpts I journaled because they were helpful to me in my stage of life:

"You must remember that connection comes before change in your loving relationships."

"The stages of change research provide an important take away for you who want to help: if you are too far ahead of people, you risk losing them. You need to be right there with their thinking, helping them get to the next stage. Don't be two stages ahead and expect them to catch up. It rarely happens. They are likely to be overwhelmed and frightened and withdraw from your efforts."


 Image result for for the love jen hatmaker amazon
from amazon.com

6) For the Love: Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards by Jen Hatmaker. I picked up this book on a whim (and because it was on sale) at Ollie's over the summer. I had heard Jen Hatmaker's name via the literary circles of people like Shauna Niequist and Emily P. Freeman. Guys, I LOVED this book. How often is it that a Christian book geared toward some element of self-help is laugh-out-loud funny? Not often. This one is. Jen's humor is overtly shown in short inclusions of sarcastic Thank You Notes (just like Jimmy Fallon does on the Tonight Show) and a chapter called, "Fashion Concerns" that bemoan manpris and thoughtfully consider leggings as pants. But interspersed with this humor is real heart and a mature, loving approach to hard topics like poverty tourism and women in ministry. The entire book felt like I was having coffee with an old friend, and every time she writes "Bless.," I can hear my sweet friend Beth in my head. (She's southern, ya'll.)


7) "How 10 People Cook the Foods They Grew Up with After Immigrating to the United States" by Ilaf Esuf. This article is found at this link: https://www.self.com/story/cooking-after-immigrating-to-the-united-states It was so nice to read about the experiences of people from other countries who are used to other cuisines try to figure out how to recreate the foods that make them feel at home. I so identify with their ingenuity in substitutions, and it fascinates me how food and the stories told by food can evolve based on something so trivial as the availability of ingredients. Can I tell you that here in Honduras missionaries and ex-pats rejoice when they find Brussels sprouts and often send out questions to ex-pat Facebook groups asking if it's possible to find French fried onions for green bean casserole? Many of us have felt like weeping when we've bought an imported product like Ben and Jerry's cookie dough ice cream (a splurge only made once in a great while) only to discover it is riddled with freezer burn. For many of us, long gone are the days of convenient frozen vegetables or the options of 14 different brands. Recipes with nuts other than peanuts can often be a once a year luxury since pecans, almonds, and walnuts can be crazy expensive. (You don't even want to know how much pine nuts cost here.) And, as much as we're substitution champs, we also miss our Honduran foods when we go back to the States. Where am I going to find delicious green mangos in West Virginia? You call these prepackaged, dried things that taste like cardboard tortillas? However you may feel about immigration or immigrants, we're all humans who need to eat. And, we're all humans who develop a concept of home based on the comfort foods we grow up eating that become connected to memories.

2) "Our Journey to Debt Freedom" by Ashley Craft. Here is the link: https://joyfullifemagazine.com/our-journey-to-debt-freedom/?fbclid=IwAR14STS2WsWvaSKTf4XAWUA8Fzi9pvU1JH0abc53zGlVJ3jmrFp7rUhWzkk
Raúl and I entered this year with the desire to be more intentional in our personal finances. Neither of us actually have any debt by the grace of Jesus, and we're not frivolous people by any means. We are quick to prioritize giving to others and filling needs. But we could also be doing a better job about saving and having a more clear plan as to what our goals are as a family. In all things, we want to honor God and depend on Him, as well as considering the ant that prepares ahead of time as a valid, biblical model. This article had some valuable steps and kind of guided us through the conversation of how we'd like to shift things for the better.

*As a general side note, for those of you who only get to know me through this internet realm, I want to be clear that I am a champion for eating the meat and spitting out the bones (as Bill Johnson of Bethel Church has often said). In other words, I can gladly read a book or a blog post or listen to a song or hear a sermon and although I may not agree with the author/singer/pastor/speaker on all of his or her personal viewpoints, I will gladly walk away with something amazing I can glean from that person. I like to look for the treasure others have to offer rather than look for the one reason that person isn't worth my time. It is my hope that others can treat me with the same kind of grace, and that we can all learn to disagree with the kind of Jesus love that makes the world stand up and notice.


Favorites:

1) Trying a French restaurant. As a West Virginia girl who comes from a small town where your cuisine options within a certain mile radius are certainly limited, I have to say that I'm getting very spoiled with living so close to a city that is growing and expanding options and becoming more creative. One of those amazing options was a local French restaurant. I had never tried French cuisine before I made beef bourguignon (and, let's face it--that's my version, how authentic could it truly be?). French food by reputation is often seen as hoity-toity and expensive with small portions. Our experience with our local French restaurant was none of those things. French food is elegant--no doubt about it. But it's also hearty and so flavorful. It becomes an art form how they are able to blend and complement a variety of different tastes and textures on a single plate. And, at least as far as our local French place, the price was equal to going to eat somewhere like Applebee's. I get that the authenticity of any cuisine can be challenged if you're not in the true place of origin, and I will give you that. But, whatever version of French food we had, it made me want to try more French food. It's always a joy to have a new experience.

2) Hope*Writers. In the last couple of years, I have come to the conclusion that part of taking care of myself as a missionary is continuing with some form of ongoing learning that can give me a break from the demands of ministry. I am an academic person. I love intellectual endeavors which also gives me a tendency to fall into patterns of worry. When my brain has something that it can truly tackle as an intellectual challenge, that ministerial worry gets pushed to the wayside. This year, my ongoing educational endeavor is Hope*Writers. Hope*Writers is an online course/community developed by primarily Christian writers for anyone who has the desire to write. The group includes people who have never written anything published to authors who have published multiple books. They charge a monthly fee, and in exchange, you get access to video teachings about anything from developing a writing routine to self-publishing to fighting imposter syndrome to writing a book proposal. You also become a part of a community where you can field any question you want to related to writing. What a support system! It can be overwhelming since I, thus far, only write blogs and have never written books. But, writing has been a great love all of my life, and Hope*Writers is providing me with the resources to get a feel for what writing could look like as a career for me some day. Just nurturing that possibility makes me feel alive.


As you can see from all that I took in this month, January was a month of abundant living. And I hope February can continue with so many new things to learn, new opportunities to take hold of, new people to connect with, and progress to continue to walk in.

Comments

Popular Posts