"I Trust You Lord . . . My Times Are in Your Hands." -- Psalms 31:14-15 {August Recap and What I Learned This Summer}

What I love about the above verse is that anything can be put in God's hands. My life is in Your hands. My finances are in Your hands. My dreams are in Your hands. My needs are in Your hands. My fears are in Your hands.

This month, I hit the ground running as we returned to Honduras. I have really enjoyed developing a new routine and having some new things to occupy my time. I have also been so blessed and excited by the way that God seems to be connecting the dots of purpose and relationship with others in ministry. There are many good things on the horizon, and even just having new excitement and possibilities has been a salve to my soul. But, as life has gotten fuller, my time and energy have sometimes seemed like not enough. There are some days (like today) when I need to make it a point to sit down, not focus on being productive, and just focus on being His. In the midst of a to-do list that seems like it won't get shorter no matter how productive I am, it is a such a comfort to know that my times are in His hands. He shows Himself in grand ways through prayers answered, provision sent, and the right words at the right moment. But, He's also present in a timely parking spot, a kismet conversation with a friend, and leftovers right as unexpected guests arrive. He's always making up for my losses. He's always stretching my hours and my dollars. And more than anything else, He's always reminding me that because He is enough, I don't have to be. At this tail end of summer, I am blessed by all that I've learned and by the deep work that He is always building within me and around me. 



What I Read:
Image result for letters to the church

1) Letters to the Church by Francis Chan. I am usually not someone who follows popular pastor, Francis Chan. I did read his book, Crazy Love, during a summer because it happened to be on the nearest book shelf of where I was, but that's been years ago. I got this book at the recommendation of my friend, and I was not disappointed. This book nearly immediately went on an internal list in my head of books that every Jesus follower should read. His personal journey is wildly encouraging and a beautiful example of risk-taking in obedience to God's leading. His truths--however controversial they may be to some--are things that my own soul has echoed for years. In this book, he talks about our need as the Body of Christ to fellowship well with one another--to truly share meals and stories and heartaches rather than just sitting on a pew beside one another and then going home. He speaks of our need for unity as well as our need to be missional and servants of those around us. And, he is authentic in his discussions of the pitfalls that surround church leadership today whether that be fame and success or simply telling everyone what we think they want to hear. He proclaims our need for humility and our need to be willing to suffer for the cause of Christ. And, lastly, he talks about the way he is implementing his deep convictions through house churches. This is the kind of book that affects cultures and sparks change. Here are some excerpts that made their way into my journal:

"It didn't seem like it would require much faith to just keep doing what I was doing, and I wanted to live by faith."
"If we focus too much attention on what people want, we will only increase the amount of complaining. The more we try to fulfill their desires, the more they complain when their desires are not met."
"Too often we have given people what they ask for rather than what they need."
"I agree with the poignant words of A. W. Tozer when he wrote, 'Our most pressing obligation today is to do all in our power to obtain a revival that will result in a reformed, revitalized, purified church. It is of far greater importance that we have better Christians than that we have more of them."

"I was deeply affected by a pastor in China who said to me, 'In America, pastors think they have to become famous to have a big impact. In China, the most influential Christian leaders had to be the most hidden.'"

"Pastors, we must know Him deeply and make disciples whose primary attachment is to Christ Himself."

"One of the most debilitating issues facing the Church is the lack of maturing her members. Churches are filled with children who never grow up to become parents. And they're not expected to. Many pastors expect their members to sit under their teachings till they die rather than training them to leave and shepherd others."

"Alan Hirsch said, 'In so many churches the mission of the church has actually become the maintenance of the institution itself.' The way to destroy the victim mentality is not by giving them more but by sending them out."

"Going small is our best shot at getting big." 


Image result for of mess and moxie

2) Of Mess and Moxie: Wrangling Delight Out of This Wild and Glorious Life by Jen Hatmaker. I love Jen Hatmaker's books because she makes me laugh. She may be the only Christian writer I know of who can make me laugh out loud. In this book--a collection of essays on various topics--she balances heavier themes like forgiveness with lighter fare such as home decorating, the torture of exercise, and the South's obsession with college football. She has mastered the art of sarcasm as humor, and she's sweet enough to include some fun recipes as well. If you need a break in your day that's the equivalent of sitting down with a sassy southern girlfriend for a cup of coffee, this book is for you. It is both authentic and uplifting, self-deprecating and empowering.


Image result for walking on water madeleine l'engle

3) Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art by Madeleine L'Engle. I was late to the Madeleine L'Engle party as I didn't read A Wrinkle in Time until a couple of years ago, but now that I'm here, I'm happy to stay. This book truly is full of wonderings and reflections in such a way that I felt like I was getting an in-depth peek into the mind of L'Engle. She sprinkles truths and observations as nonchalantly as if they were sprinkles on a cookie, yet I find myself having to stop, re-read, and nod at such profound wisdom. In this book, she fights for the creative in all of us while speaking to the heart of each of us about our need to connect with the Creator in deeper ways. Here are some favorite excerpts:

"There is nothing so secular that it cannot be sacred, and that is one of the deeper messages of the Incarnation."
"One time I was talking to Canon Tallis, who is my spiritual director as well as my friend, and I was deeply grieved about something, and I kept telling him how woefully I had failed someone I loved, failed totally, otherwise that person couldn't have done the wrong that was so destructive. Finally he looked at me and said calmly, 'Who are you to think you are better than our Lord? After all, he was singularly unsuccessful with a great many people.'" 
"Following Christ has nothing to do with success as the world sees success. It has to do with love."
"The discipline of creation, be it to paint, compose, write, is an effort toward wholeness."

Online Reading:
1) "How (and Why) We Should Be Telling the Stories of 'Quiet Influencers'" by Rachel Pieh Jones. 
http://ethicalstorytelling.com/telling-stories-quiet-influencers/?fbclid=IwAR0CvGaWZcORrUCscj5zRQvEv1xniYgnoeFzhqgCFU5hSfWxsdDJluxCSrM
For anyone who writes--whether that be a monthly newsletter or blog posts or articles--this is a great point of view to keep in mind.

2) "The Road Forward to Missional Community" by Twyla Franz. 
 https://theuncommonnormal.com/2019/08/23/the-road-forward-to-missional-community/
I like the premise of this blog in general, and this short post talks about using the book, The Road Back to You, in order to foster better understanding of one another within community.

3) "Getting Unstuck: How to Follow through on Your Priorities" by Jen Zamzow.
https://jenzamzow.com/how-to-follow-through-on-goals/
In the midst of starting a running routine as well as several other new habits and mindsets, this blog offers some very practical means for moving forward in our goals.

4) "Pace" by Carrie Roer. 
 https://carrieroer.com/pace/
This short blog has some great reminders about keeping a balanced pace in the midst of transition times. It was timely for me this month.

What I Ate:


Photo by Thomas (fuji01)

1) Avocado Corn Chicken Salad. I have been squeezing the last bit of summer out of our meals. Of course, in Honduras, it usually feels like summer. But, this salad was a fresh take on chicken salad. It tasted light but was also filling. Here is a recipe: https://natashaskitchen.com/avocado-chicken-salad-recipe/ The dill really makes it as does the lemon vinaigrette. We didn't add bacon to ours.

2) Tía Sara's Oatmeal. In the midst of scrubbing down my house upon arrival from the States and sleep deprivation and no groceries in my house, there was nothing more comforting than having a sweet Nicaraguan lady make me oatmeal. Nobody makes oatmeal as good as my Nicaraguan mamas. It's got enough milk to have a creamy, not clumpy texture. And they add both salt and sugar, so it's got just the right balance. One of my favorite comfort foods, and no one else makes it as well.


Photo by Neha Deshmukh

3) Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs and Green Beans. Here is an inspiration recipe: https://carlsbadcravings.com/honey-mustard-chicken/ but I tend to wing it. I used thighs rather than breasts, and I didn't add potatoes because I had rice to use up. But, the sauce is what makes this recipe.

4) Dill Potato Salad. I am generally not a fan of potato salad. I really don't like sweet varieties especially. But I do love potatoes, so I set out to make a version that is lighter. My version uses a mixture of yogurt and mayo (more yogurt than mayo), corn kernels, hard boiled eggs, a tiny bit of mustard, a tiny bit of vinegar, salt, pepper, and dill. As is the case in most recipes where it appears, the dill is what makes the dish. It makes it so summery, and is my favorite alternative to using something like relish (which I don't love).


Photo by Danielle MacInnes


5) Shrimp Asparagus and Avocado Salad. As Raúl and I have been trying to eat healthier, we've been eating a lot of salads. Salads are only fun for me if there is a lot of variety. This salad had some ingredients that aren't things that I would eat all the time (shrimp and asparagus are expensive here!), but it was a welcome twist for a salad. Here is the inspiration recipe: https://cafedelites.com/blackened-shrimp-asparagus-and-avocado-salad/ I made the shrimp less spicy and didn't add red onion.


What I Watched:
1) The Red Sea Diving Resort. This movie on Netflix follows the risky efforts of Israeli government agents to bring Jewish Ethiopian refugees to safety in Israel. It stars Chris Evans as the headstrong ringleader who continues his heroic characteristics. And the undercover tactic they resort to is to open a diving resort in order to smuggle the refugees out. While the stories of the refugees themselves isn't widely covered which is slightly disappointing, the story is based on a true story and is highly charged with emotion and suspense. I enjoyed it.

2) The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. In the midst of hectic schedules, it's nostalgia for the win! I only occasionally watched this show in my childhood (though how catchy is that theme song for everyone?!), but it was soothing to have classic Will Smith and 90s vibes to keep me company.


Favorites:
1) Annie F. Downs' Podcast with Lauren Daigle. I will confess I am pretty behind on current music, but I have been around enough to have heard of Lauren Daigle. I loved this podcast. It is always so special to hear about how songs spring from such a close personal relationship with God. She also offers mature perspective in how she handled being criticized for some of her career choices. It's worth a listen. Here's the link: http://www.anniefdowns.com/2019/08/09/episode-158-lauren-daigle/

What I Learned This Summer:
1) There are several different ways of saying thank you in Chinese, (and I don't actually know any of them). Which one you use depends on the context of the social situation. I'm always fascinated by how language and culture are intertwined, which makes me wonder--does this language concept convey a culture that is intrinsically geared towards gratitude? I don't know, but I'd like to.

2) Poverty is relational. This lesson was courtesy of the book, When Helping Hurts. The bottom line is that we are all struggling with some aspect of poverty. It may come from our relationship with money, but it could also be our lack of relationship with God or with others. Solving issues of poverty has to be a group effort that we process together because while our poverty may manifest in different ways, we all struggle with feeling like orphans from time to time and in different ways.


Photo by Arthur Brognoli

3) The Brooklyn Bridge was finished in great part to Emily Roebling, wife of Washington Roebling and daughter-in-law of John Roebling (the men who started the design and construction). She educated herself and, like a boss, she oversaw what her husband started and went on to take on other great tasks like studying law and designing her family's home. How awesome that such a visual landmark was impacted so much by a woman in a time where that wasn't very common.

4) Foster parents are amazing. This summer I got to spend some time with some of my dearest friends who are foster parents, and I honestly think that they are some of the best representations of the love of Jesus. This isn't necessarily a huge realization, but the way that they pray for their kids, the way that they steel themselves in the midst of court dates and unending doctor's appointments and processing trauma with their children, and the way that they scoop them up in their arms to the point you'd swear they were flesh and blood, well, there just are no words for it.

5) There is nothing more special than when the Holy Spirit connects people in community and prayer. We should all fight for community, but the best community is connected with a deep love for God, a deep respect for each other, and a little mystery that only the Holy Spirit can provide. Have you ever prayed something for someone or gave something someone, and that person responds with astonishment because it was exactly what they needed? It's the random check that covers the rent down to the cent that someone gave just because they felt led to. It's the encouraging word that answers a specific doubt with hope. It's the spontaneous prayer when a breakdown is imminent. How else can you explain those beautiful things?

6) After the tragic Chicago Fire, the city was rebuilt at an overwhelmingly rapid rate with better organization and stronger materials and was completed without any government aid. There are likely so many metaphoric life lessons in this little tidbit. I'm still digesting them.

As you head into fall, sending kids off to school or starting classes again, sipping a pumpkin spice latte or rejoicing over the leaves changing colors, may you remember that your time is in His hands. He is trustworthy in the midst of late nights and homework, crisp evenings and apple cider. He is always building and re-building, connecting and restoring.


Comments

Popular Posts